Ford's Colony is a 3,200-acre master planned community in James City County, Virginia, with about 5,600 residents, 2,600 homes; 95 percent of which are single family dwellings. Nearly 54 percent of the total acreage is designated as Open Space. Ford’s Colony is a multigenerational community, retirees from all corners of the nation and around the world, and many younger families. Currently Ford’s Colony has more than 600 children in residence.
Ford’s Colony is nationally recognized for excellence - Ford’s Colony was selected early on by the national Community Association Institute (CAI) as a large-scale Community Association of the Year and remains in the CAI Community Association Hall of Fame to this day.
Families and individuals move to Ford’s Colony for a variety of reasons. According to our 2020 Resident Survey, people selected a lot/home in Ford’s Colony for the following reasons: the general appearance of the community, safety and security, upkeep of common areas and the variety of amenities the community offers.
Belonging to Ford’s Colony. Owners are members of the Ford’s Colony Homeowners Association (FCHOA). The FCHOA is led by an elected seven-member Board of Directors and thirteen supporting committees, all volunteers, which govern the community and assess fees. The FCHOA Board contracts with a management company which is responsible for operation and maintenance of the community. The FCHOA structure and dues are used to:
- Maintain and improve our 50 miles of paved roads, 73 acres of turf and landscaping, 12 miles of leisure trails, a 1.25-mile-long Nature Trail, 13 retention ponds, 27 dams, 7.7 miles of drainage swales, and infrastructure that includes over 20 miles of storm water drainage pipes;
- Maintain and improve facilities including community recreation and meeting facilities, hard and clay tennis courts, bocce ball and pickleball courts, two swimming pools;
- Provide 24-hour security services and safety to include four gated entrances;
- Publish our monthly magazine, Talk of the Colony, our website fchoa.org, our Facebook page Ford’s Colony Living, and regular weekly email newsletters;
- Operate the Architectural Review Committee (ARC) which implements the “FCHOA Purchaser’s Handbook”;
- Plan and create/manage our annual budget of over $5 million; and
- Facilitate the creation and continuance of over 60 clubs and interest groups with a variety of interests, such as bridge, Pilates, mah jongg, genealogy, gardening, golf, fly fishing, softball, bowling, art, dancing, music, theater, travel, bible study, model railroading, crafts, woodworking, and children’s activities including youth tennis, art classes, youth swim team and holiday gatherings.
What to expect as a new resident-- New residents are greeted by our New Resident Welcome Committee and provided with a package of community and local information. Residents are encouraged to join the Newcomers Club which meets monthly and offers programs and events geared to familiarizing new residents with the area. Newcomers also encourages people to sign up for monthly social groups including BYOBs, Wine and Cheese gatherings, Wine and Dines, and men’s and women’s lunch groups, and book clubs. These are social groups all aimed at providing opportunity for new people to get to know each other quickly and often result in establishment of lifelong friendships.
The 3,200 acre development also houses the Ford’s Colony Country Club
, owned and operated by ClubCorp.
A variety of memberships options are available to residents, but membership is not required to reside in the Colony. Marriott also maintains an ownership resort on the premises. The Marriott’s Manor Club at Ford’s Colony
is a 201-unit highly rated time share property.
Ford’s Colony is in James City County
(JCC) and adjacent to the city of Williamsburg, an independent city with a population of approximately 15,000. James City County has approximately 76,500 residents. Though the Colony has a Williamsburg postal address, governance is under the James City County Board of Supervisors.
Children residing in Ford’s Colony attend the Williamsburg-James City County schools.
There are also several private schools in the area.
Life in the Historic Triangle.
See our Area Guide
for more information on James City County, including an award-winning library system, nearby parks, hospitals, historical sites and educational opportunities with the College of William and Mary.
For more information on Colony life, logon to fordscolonyliving.com
. This website provides prospective owners with valuable information about Ford’s Colony and the surrounding community.
Those thinking of moving here, prospective purchasers, and realtors may also find the following information about Ford's Colony helpful. New residents should register on this website to take advantage of even more practical recommendations for living in Ford's Colony and to receive weekly updates.