Ford's Colony is a 3,000 acre master planned community in James City County, Virginia, with about 5,500 residents, 2,600 homes, 95% of which are single family. Nearly 54% of the total acreage is designated as Open Space. Ford’s Colony is a multi-generational community; we have many people who retire here mostly from the northeast, but also have many younger families with more than 600 children in residence. Ford’s Colony was selected early on by the national Community Association Institute (CAI) as a large-scale Community Association of the Year and remains in the CAI Community Association Hall of Fame to this day.
According to our 2014 Resident Survey, people selected a lot/home in Ford’s Colony for five main reasons: the general appearance of the community, safety and security, our architectural standards, the presence of the country club and its three golf courses, and our HOA activities and clubs. Furthermore, 98% of our residents indicated they would recommend Ford’s Colony to their friends.
Owners are members of the Ford’s Colony Homeowners Association (FCHOA), a self-governance structure which is owner-controlled since 2000. The FCHOA is led by an elected Board of Directors and twelve supporting committees, all volunteers, which govern our community, and assess fees. The FCHOA Board contracts with a management company which is responsible for operation and maintenance of the community. The FCHOA structure and dues are used to:
- maintain and improve our 50 miles of roads;
- maintain and improve our landscaping, ponds, and drainage systems over 350 acres of common area;
- provide 24-hour security services and safety to include four gated entrances;
- maintain and improve our meeting facilities, two pools, ten tennis courts, ten miles of walking paths, and a two mile nature path;
- publish our monthly magazine (Talk of the Colony), our website (fchoa.org), our Facebook page (Ford’s Colony Living), and regular weekly email newsletters;
- operate the Architectural Review Committee (ARC) which implements the “FCHOA Purchaser’s Handbook;"
- plan for the future and create/manage our annual budget of over five million dollars;
- facilitate the creation and continuance of over 60 clubs and interest groups with a variety of interests, such as bridge, pilates, mah jongg, genealogy, gardening, tai chi, golf, fly fishing, softball, bowling, art, dancing, music, theater, travel, bible study, model railroading, crafts, woodworking, colony kids, and youth swim team.
New residents are greeted by our New Resident Welcome Committee and provided with a package of community and local information. The Newcomers Club meets monthly and is very helpful in familiarizing new residents with the area. Newcomers also encourages people to sign up for monthly social groups including BYOBs, Wine and Cheeses, Wine and Dines, and Men’s and Women’s Lunch Groups, and book clubs. These are social groups all aimed at providing opportunity for new people to get to know each other quickly, often establishing lifelong friendships.
Also within the space of the overall development is the Ford’s Colony Country Club
, owned by ClubCorp. Membership in the country club is optional for owners and residents. Another entity within the overall development is the Marriott’s Manor Club at Ford’s Colony
, a 201-unit highly rated time share property. Many current Ford’s Colony residents decided to buy here as a result of their initial stay at the Marriott.
James City County Recreation Center
|Williamsburg is an independent city (not part of James City County) with a population of about 14,000 in 2010. Ford’s Colony is located in James City County. The County population in 2010 was about 70,000. Counties have no “county seat” in Virginia, but the James City County Court House is located just two to three miles from Ford’s Colony. Our postal address, however, is “Williamsburg, Virginia 23188”. The property tax rate is set by the JCC Board of Supervisors. Currently, the rate is $.84 per $100.00, and would result in a real estate tax of $4,200 on a property assessed at $500,000 ($.0084 x $500,000 = $4,200). Children residing in Ford’s Colony attend the Williamsburg-James City County (WJCC) school system and other private schools. Ford’s Colony Volunteers for Education are very involved with helping students and their schools. See our Area Guide for more information on James City County, including an award-winning library system, nearby parks, hospitals, and educational opportunities with the College of William and Mary.
Those thinking of moving here, prospective purchasers, and realtors may also find the following information about Ford's Colony helpful. New residents should register on this website to take advantage of even more practical recommendations for living in Ford's Colony and to receive weekly updates.